Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Windy City...

My dear friend of 20 years now...Pam Delaney...treated me to a trip to Chicago this past week.  For all of the millions of conversations we have had and craft projects we have done and family dinners we have shared...we have never done this kind of girls' getaway.

It was my first trip on Southwest Airlines and (and this is really big for those of you who know me) for the first time ever I did NOT check a bag!!! I was a little nervous because 1) I like options...and matching shoes and 2) I was traveling with this supposed expert carry-on queen! Was I up to the challenge?  I did the black dress pants that never wrinkle on Tuesday and again Thursday and the gray sweater dress on Wednesday...add black boots, a quart size bag of travel size products, a camera, and a winter coat...Voila!  Piece of cake.  Let's just put it this way, when Pam and Dennis showed up Tuesday morning to pick me up Dennis said "Is this it?"  I think there is a new carry-on queen in town ; )

We left Panama City at 9:00 am stopped in Nashville (but never left the plane) and by 1:00 we were exiting the taxi at the Intercontinental Hotel on Michigan Avenue!

After checking in and freshening up we went to the Drake Hotel and had tea at the lovely Palm Court

Tea sandwiches, scones, desserts, and beautiful music...magic!

We decided to walk back to the hotel...because it was Michigan Avenue and there were dozens of stores that we might need to check out!!

It was dark long before we got back to our hotel!

Wednesday was full of shopping, eating, a walk to the Oriental Theater to see the play Billy Elliott, dinner at the Oak Room, and one last look at the city at night!


Yes...there was a wish fairy flitting about the restaurant...and Pam just had to get it on film!




On Thursday we were up and at the airport by 4:45 AM...driving through Starbucks in Panama City at 9:15 am!  The carry-on was a bit heavier and I did buy a great Marc Jacobs tote bag in Nordstroms which was necessary for the pair of shoes I bought : )...and the book...and the birthday gift for Chelsea...


Great trip over and it's back to reality...
 


2 comments:

  1. I'm SO jealous, looks like a great trip & I love the bag and the shoes. I love big cities, Chicago is definitely on my list of places to go. Did you see the bean? Oh, and apparently they have some sort of transparent balcony you can stand on and look out over the city? Glad you had fun, how can I talk Ken into letting me do a trip like this?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are soooo many things to do there...don't your parents live somewhere in the midwest? Next summer when you go to stay on the ranch plan a little side trip without the kids...you will love it!

    ReplyDelete