Monday, August 29, 2011

A Morning Hike...And A New Disney Race!

Rich and I are doing the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon on October 1, 2011. It is supposed to be a very low key fun way to celebrate our 30th Anniversary!!  I came up with this idea because... a) back in May we didn't have something on the calendar for that weekend... b) I was already into the walking thing and he goes to the gym and runs... c) It starts at 10pm and at the end of it we get to attend the annual wine and dine festival at the Epcot Showcase of the World...so could there be serious runners involved???  

Up to this point we have been doing our own "training."  He has been running and I have been walking.  The past three weeks I logged 61 miles and that doesn't count all the trips  from my car into various Targets, Best Buys, and Bed Bath Beyonds in the Southeast...and what about all of those trips into and out of Chelsea's apartment on the second floor and Katelyn's dorm!   I just can't seem to make that crossover back into running...I honestly think that I am either too old...or it's too hot...or I am too old.  And for Rich...he can't wrap his head around extended walking in a RACE.  I know that he's probably right, we will get there all ready to enjoy the event, take pictures along the way, maybe get an autograph from Mickey and Minnie ;)...and then it will happen.  We will see actual RUNNERS who have not seen a couch in oh...10 years...warming up by doing 50 yard sprints.  And also there will be those dedicated runners who have hydrated so well they arrive at the starting line and immediately get in line for the porta-potty come out of the stall and get right back in line!! Race Day (errr Night) Magic will kick in...I know of this to some degree I ran the Disney Half Marathon back in...well awhile ago.

Rich has a bit more experience with this...and ran the Half with me while sick!

We have compromised a bit and decided that we will run 6 miles and walk 7.1 (or maybe it is the other way around).  So today we hiked through WaterColor and Seaside (8.5 miles).  Rich clipped along at a nice speed and I slowed him down a few times to stop and take some pics on my cell phone (practicing for the real event you know).








  It was all good though. At the end of our hike we ate a delicious breakfast in Seaside and then we spent the afternoon lounging around the pool at the condo.  Stay tuned for fun updates from my "rigorous" training schedule during the next few weeks.  For now I am off to do 5 miles!






No comments:

Post a Comment