Friday, February 25, 2011

Intentional Living....Part One...Exercise

One of my goals in 2011 is to make exercise an intentional part of my life.  So instead of using my gym membership when I feel guilty...need to take off that 5 pounds AGAIN...or everyone in the family is headed out the door to go so I might as well go too...I am intentionally scheduling times to go and for the first time in forever (remember jazzercize??) I am taking classes.  It started last fall with Yoga and has since included Pilates Class and a Core Stretch Class (that kicked my....abs).

 I used to run.  Notice I didn't say I used to be a runner!  I was never a runner.  For one year (2004/05) I ran and ran and ran. I ran neighborhoods, tracks, the bridge, and even a couple of 5k races. In January of 2005 I ran the Disney Half  Marathon and immediately decided ~ okay, been there done that.  Yes, I experienced "race day magic!" But honestly, I was in Disney World and I get a bit high just swiping my card and entering Main Street in Magic Kingdom!!  I don't think I have run a total of 10 miles since.  In 2010 I started walking and while there is none of the adrenaline kick that happens after mile 4 while running...it is exercise and I usually go 5-6 miles three times a week with friends.  We chat, the time goes by, and I love being outside.  I can tell though that while the classes at the gym are great and the social aspect of walking is fun, I will get bored with the walking routine once hot weather hits!  Sooooooo, I am THINKING about adding a bit of running back into my life.  I don't want to be crazy about it and no, I won't be running the bridge next Thursday night (maybe somewhere down the road), but, I am going to give it a go while at Carillon this weekend. 

I know some of you are runners and I need some inspiration. So lay it on me.  How do you keep yourself motivated to run?  I just got a new ipod touch from Rich for Valentine's Day.  It is loaded up with music and some podcasts.  Now I want to make a couple of playlists for my runs.   So my question to you...what do you listen to while running? I would really appreciate suggestions otherwise I will go back to my standbys...The Killers, ColdPlay, U2...

Next up...part two of intentional living!

6 comments:

  1. Ditto what Sue said! I will run with you anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girls....but what about some music????

    ReplyDelete
  3. My running music aside from the ones you mentioned are heavily 80's music... think Madonna, Bruce, REM, INXS, Michael Jackson, Peter Gabriel, Tom Petty, Ben Folds, Bon Jovi, etc. (reminds me of high school when I didn't have to exercise, the good old days!!)

    But I also LOVE me some Black Eyed Peas-(great running songs!), Kanye, Usher, Pink, Beyonce, Jay Z, Justin Timberlake, Eminem, Rihanna, etc.

    You need to google great running playlists or check out Runners World.com, I know they have a ton listed on their site.
    Good luck finding your motivation, mine packed it's bags and headed out before Christmas... haven't seen it since!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim , I walk with a bit of running. I don't use music so I am no help there. I run "naked"- just me and the pavement or beach, sky, and my clothes of course. I did hire a trainer last May - so been hitting the gym to do weights for a few months. My legs feel so much stronger- not sure that they look much better- but it makes running easier! I always look forward to Spring and checking out the flowers! This year I plan to do a photo slideshow of all the beautiful sites I see along my trails! Cindy Shipman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kathy, we have very similar taste in music. I will definitely check out Runners World.com...This is the perfect time of year to run...get those shoes back on!!

    Cindy, I can walk "naked" but not run...I think it is from that year of training!!

    So today I did my first mostly walking and a little jogging for 4.8 miles. I put the ipod on shuffle and was pleasantly surprised...Madonna, Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson, Keith Urban, Tracy Chapman, U2, All American Rejects, Michael Buble, Black Eyed Peas...I only had to hit next a couple of times! The running part wasn't much fun...but I will try again!

    ReplyDelete