Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Second Day of Christmas!

Before I go into Beth Moore and Christmas trees, I have got to do a commercial for the Light Keeper...Just like the package says, it fixes light sets fast and easy!!!  Our reindeer's antlers now light up again!!!



Several years ago I bought this cd from the Living Proof Ministries website...

It is a collection of Christmas vignettes written by Beth Moore.  In her powerful style she brings to life the young Mary with the newborn saviour and the reflections of one of the old shepherds keeping watch that wondrous night.  I am going to listen to this again this year as part of my devotion time. If you have a special devotional book that you love to read during this time of year, I would love to know as I am always looking...  


So Christmas Trees....
I have sooo many stories about Christmas trees.  In our old house we had a formal living room and a separate family room.  So we had two trees...for years they were real (I can't really say they were live as they left a trail of needles from the lot all the way home)!!  They were such a wonderful pain to deal with. Especially after the season when they were actual fire hazards and had to be disposed of.  I loved those trees!  One year we actually went out with some friends and cut down a tree and brought home real mistletoe!!

When we moved to our present house we downsized to one full-size tree.  We did have to upgrade to a larger tree to fit the room, and yes we went the route of the pre-lit tree.  So for the last six years we have brought the tree in from the garage in three pieces and within half an hour it is up and ready to be "fluffed."  It isn't as romantic, but I have to admit there is something to be said about convenience!!  Since Nicole got married we have decorated the tree Thanksgiving weekend.

The tree has all of our favorite ornaments...handmade ornaments...and travel ornaments.  It is a story that unfolds as the decorations come out of the boxes and take their place. For years we would all decorate the tree and the girls, then little, would excitedly place their ornaments on the tree...usually all clumped together on three or four branches!!  I of course would "spread the joy" after they went to bed, and for many years they were none the wiser!!  I have quit doing that in recent years but they still claim that I rearrange.  This year Rich clumped together a whole group of ornaments that the girls made  (I think just to prove that I move)...they haven't moved an inch!!!

First Christmas together..1981! It is always placed front and center.


This ornament brings back sweet memories of our early years together.


Nicole's first Christmas ornament...but possibly her favorite was...
The cabbage patch doll!


Kate (age 9) made this ornament in Mrs. Street's class.


The girls...2002


Rich's mom, Mary, hand painted everyone an ornament in 2005.


I always buy an ornament when we travel. This one is from one of our very favorite trips...Hawaii 2008. 


And this is Chelsea's new favorite!!

So we don't have a designer tree, just a tree that is all about us...
big, bright, nostalgic, funny, sweet, and full of memories!




No comments:

Post a Comment