Sunday, December 5, 2010

The Fifth Day of Christmas


              Today's post is about experiencing the joy of the season. 

This afternoon we went to Lessons and Carols at St. Andrew's Episcopal Church.  It is a very traditional service which combines music and scripture to reveal the prophesy and fulfillment of God's promise to His people.

I loved the music. It was complicated...the kind that requires  talent and range and the ability to read music and follow direction (all those gifts I do not have). 

It gave me joy to watch my cousin Sue (the choirmaster) direct the choir and the musicians.  It is a difficult job...and she does it well and derives joy from it.

...And then there was the message from the lessons and the carols.  I have read the same scriptures and heard some of the music dozens of times throughout my life...but like my dear friend Leslie Legg has said on many an occasion..."there is a fresh word for me if I just listen."  And that is true joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment