Friday, February 24, 2012

Squirrels in the Attic...Dowagers on the Loose???


My grandmother was no pushover!  She had certain rules and ideas about lots of things.  I remember a certain beautiful lead-crystal-from-Germany candy dish that sat on her coffee table.  Instead of moving it out of harms way she would say "NO-NO...DON'T TOUCH" Somehow that candy dish made it through many grandchildren and great grandchildren (of course it helped that she often had very strange candy in it...sesame somethings...)!!  However...candy dishes are not the topic for today...

She had a slipper chair and this chair was a child magnet because it was the perfect height and it could SPIN!!!  "NO-NO...DON'T SPIN THE CHAIR!"  And that was the way it was until my daughter Katelyn came along. My grandmother was 79 at the time and lived here in Florida and spent lots of time with all of my girls.  For some reason (maybe she was just tired and figured who cares...it's a chair) she was very entertained by Katelyn spinning the chair around and giggling!! I would look oddly at my grandmother as she sat in her wheelchair with her pink or blue or floral house dress on and her very short silvery hair and this smile on her face.  What happened to NO-NO DON'T SPIN?  Mind you I was never permitted to do it so I was a little put out that my youngest daughter was permitted this privilege.  My grandma would just wave her very arthritic hand and say let her be!



It was no real surprise to me when grandma told me that she wanted Katelyn to have her slipper chair after she died.  At this point Kate was about 8 and well past the spinning chair phase and didn't really get it (let's be honest she was probably thinking this old worn-out chair...what am I supposed to do with it?)  Grandma passed and the chair has pretty much sat in this window ever since we moved here.  Over the years I have thought that I should get the chair reupholstered but...you know, it isn't my chair...I am merely the keeper of the chair!!  Recently I decided...it's time and so I asked Katelyn if it would be okay to get grandma's chair redone and put it upstairs in her bedroom.  She said "Sure," and went on to the next subject!

I went to a local business where I have purchased lots of furniture and knew that they had an extensive selection of fabrics that could be ordered. Instead of showing me through the fabric I was reminded that it was more expensive to reupholster a chair than buy a new.  Okay...plan B.  I talked to my friends and was pointed in the direction of a local antiques gallery that has moved into design and decorating in recent years.  So this week I went...finally...to deal with the chair!!  I ended up at another locally owned business that designs and makes fabric...Parthenon has a seconds room that has great prices on fabric.  Many a classroom of mine through the years have had curtains made from fabric that I fell in love with in their seconds room!!  On this trip I was looking for fabric in the blue range...to match Kate's room.





The cornflower blue with white chandeliers...I love it and it has a great story behind it (which I am saving for another post)...but, not enough left in stock!

The blue, yellow, and white stripe...could work...but looks like me not Kate!

 The simple blue...hmmm it is the same color the chair was originally, but as Nicole said...since when do you play it safe??

Okay, so maybe the light blue floral...

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!!! So, since I am dragging my feet on this issue a bit I will move onto Five for Friday stuff!!

1) February has less than a week left and I HAVE been working on my resolutions list for this month. First...paper organization...next week I tackle the last of that...the two drawer safe...it really hasn't been that bad!!

2) I am very happy to show the before and after Laundry Room project...

Here it is in all its practical glory...I mean it's a laundry room and the first stop into the house from the garage.  Some days it is cleaner than others...But, Rich has been on the bandwagon to get anything on that window looking into the garage...that is code for "Kim, this is at the top of my to-do list on your next out of town trip and it will take one 20 minute trip to Home Depot!"


So...thank you smith + noble for sending me your latest window treatment catalog with my new window treatment on the front cover!!! I simply took the measurements,got on the phone and ordered it, and Voila!!


And for today, the laundry room is pretty clean!!



3)  We have squirrels in two of our attics...and so next week is the beginning of that huge project.  I have professionals on this...and of course the first thing they show me is this...


The best way to keep squirrels off of the roof and out of the attics...do not provide them a ladder (so to speak)...I am just being honest, but I don't really see my husband jumping on the let's-cut-this-tree-back-so-the-squirrels-can't- get-on-the-roof. Cause seriously, there are lots of "ladders"...like this Crepe Myrtle tree right outside my kitchen window...


This is one reason why Jack, Nicole's cat in residence (while they sell their house), spends lots of time in this window...watching...


But I digress...the professionals (as I will refer to them) spent 3 hours climbing around the attics and on the roof...and there is now a detailed plan...much like a war plan.  It begins with sealing off entries and trapping any pesky squirrels that just want to be in the attic.  Hopefully by the end of next week all of that, and extensive cleanup (which includes removal of the insulation) will be complete. I will update as this goes on...but hopefully by the end of March we will have restored attics, lower electric bills, and no more uninvited visitors in our home!!
Oh the joys of home ownership...


4) I love my new red ottoman recently purchased from Grandin Road and now at home in the loft.  It provides extra seating, works as a coffee table, and has lots of storage!




And yes, I have saved the best for last...
5)  Downton Abbey!!!


  Need I say more?  Yes I know they are in season 3 and I have just finished watching season 1...
What can I say...I don't watch TV (Morning Joe...O'Reilly Factor...House Hunters...The Property Brothers...Chopped...College Football games...Thanksgiving Parade...)
Every show I have loved I have watched well after the fact:
Veronica Mars, Gilmore Girls, Alias, 24, Parenthood...and now
Downton Abbey...


The simple pleasure of a family saga in the backdrop of the early 1900s English countryside...my favorites of the first season...
The "girls" are not your average mom and daughter set...they have issues but beautiful clothes!

Two good eggs... Anna and Bates.  Will they end up together...ever??

The "ladies"...gotta love Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess
of Grantham and Isobel Crawley...different as night and day,
they scuffle over...well just about anything.  Notice the difference in
the clothing style...it says alot!

Can't wait to start season 2...time for WWI and is that Lady Sybil...
dressed as a nurse??



In case you are wondering...Gabby and I are surviving training...some minor set backs here and there are not stopping us!!  She has learned to stay within 5 feet of me when I am in the sun room...so I don't use the leash first thing in the morning now.  This week we added "Watch Me" to our training. I want her to look at me when I give her a command so this is the homework for the week.  We practice about 4 times a day...when she is very awake and active (unlike this pic in which she is nearly comatose)!!

Have a wonderful weekend...if the rain doesn't go away I may just have to have a Downton Abbey Marathon!!