Sunday, September 25, 2011

Training for the Half Marathon...

We are into countdown mode for the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon next Saturday night, October 1st. Ahaaa...some of you are runners and might be thinking...."hmmmm did she mean night?"  Yes my friends I did mean night, as in this race starts at 10:00 pm! The course will take us from the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex through Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios...to the finish line at the entrance to Epcot. At Epcot we will attend (yep, it's well after midnight by this time...)the Disney Wine and Dine Finish Line Party.  This alone makes it all worth while (she says with sarcasm).

 Now, before you go getting all impressed about my efforts do realize that all of my training has been walking with the exception of maybe 5 total miles...you see I kinda gave up running several years ago. I took up walking last year as a way to force myself back into the habit of doing something physical several times a week. I intersperse it with going to the gym, yoga, and riding my bike.  I guess I thought it would lead to running but it hasn't yet!  All of this said my husband, my partner in this crime, is a runner!  He has been training by losing 22 pounds in the last 4 months, going to the gym, and RUNNING.  So on Friday morning we had the talk.  You know...the how are we going to approach this race talk.  First of all I told him..."let's just take race out of the vocabulary..." to which he piped back "Not a problem but you know with me the watch is king so how is our time going to go...2 minutes run/3 minutes walk?" Suddenly, I am thinking is it too late to find a new partner? But, I cheerfully answered "How about you tell me how fast I am doing each mile?"  "How about we will start off jogging, walk, run a little, walk, and sprint the last half mile (or 50 feet...whatever)?"

SATURDAY, Sept. 24th:  I started my official countdown by doing 8 miles and then spent 3 hours in the garage cleaning (yes, I do think that counts as training...have you seen my garage).  I wouldn't dare post pictures of the before but let me just put it this way...one side of the garage is full of trash waiting to go to the curb Tuesday morning and Rich took a pickup truck full great stuff that we no longer use and/or need to Goodwill! Here are the results...

This is Rich's workbench room...look there is a floor and tools...on the tool board!

FYI  we have hurricane panels pre-cut and labeled to go on our windows. We have not had to use them since we got them 5 years ago (not complaining...just saying...I hope we can find the bolts...I hope they aren't warped...I hope we can find some strapping youngster to come do it for us)!

This was a shelf of sports disasters, folding chairs, and rain ponchos...let's see there were scooters (check out Chelsea's knee sometime...lovely scar from a very bad spill on gravel in Eufala, Al), about 9 soccer balls...all deflated next to one shin guard and a pair of crutches (check out Chelsea's other leg...no visible scars...but she will tell you the story of the 8 long months of a broken leg her junior year...all because she charged the goalie and neither of them would back down), rain ponchos from an Auburn game...fortunately it didn't rain so they are all still nicely packaged, etc...etc.!  We kept the soccer ball that was autographed and put Claire's stroller where the scooters had been! You might notice the white bag hanging on the front of the shelf...last Christmas Kate wanted to bake cookies for the free world and so we bought cookie tins and all the fixins...the bag of cookie tins are still hanging around...waiting :)

OK...Last picture....my husband's favorite part of the garage...the wall of honor.  This isn't all of it but there is Nicole and David's just married sign that hung on the golf cart they used to escape the wedding reception (just a warning girls...he's keeping it for future use and figuring it will cut down on one expense), a map of Hawaii, some hats of notoriety, Claire's first birthday banner, Kate's graduation decoration...you know, those things that won't fit in a scrapbook!

Back to the training schedule...SUNDAY, Sept. 25th:  I made my play list for my ipod (don't laugh it's mental exercise...thinking my way through this race)!
The list has over 3 hours of music and a couple of famous speeches (in case I need a good talkin to...oh and Rich added 30 minutes of music to it).  There is everything...Elvis Costello, Miley Cyrus, U2, Keith Urban, Tracy Chapman, Dixie Chicks, Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Journey, Taylor Swift, Jason Miraz, Lady GaGa, Hootie and the Blowfish, Florence and the Machine, Michael Buble, DC Talk, Etta James, Alfie Boe, Michael Jackson, Cindy Morgan, The Clash, Black-Eyed Peas, The Stones....did I leave anything out....oh yes...my run-across-the-finish-line song (which is my tradition from the only other half marathon I've done...)The Killers...All These Things That I Have Done. Please leave me a comment if you have some great running songs...I am always looking for inspiration!

I wanted to ride my bike today and just sort of loosen up a bit after yesterday's full day.  I got on my bike and headed down the driveway and immediately realized that the rubbing sound I was hearing was the front brake rubbing against the tire...well this will provide some extra work I figured.  By the end of my road I also discovered the crooked wheel and broken spokes...I don't remember a bike wreck... So, instead of the 3 miles I was going to do through the neighborhood I decided to do bicycle sprints on my dead end street (just in case something drastic happened with the brake rubbing the tire...I would be near my house). So I did 10 lengths of the road as fast as I could...that was enough of that! 

Back inside, I hydrated and checked out the Disney site for info about our race...
I think these waivers tell the story...I am the oldest, therefore I rule!
I checked out the map of our race course (we actually pass our hotel RIGHT before we cross the finish line...so maybe if I do a bit more running during the race I can stop off and change clothes... fix the hair, put on makeup...so I will feel human at the party afterwards and look like a human when I cross the finish line...something to ponder haha) but what I really wanted to see...a picture of the medal...it's all about the hardware you know!  No such luck...I guess I'll have to finish the race to see the medal!

Enough training for this Sunday, Rich is back from his biking to the gym...working out...and biking home (show off ;)  We are going to see Moneyball at the Grand and grab some dinner.  More training tomorrow.  One more thing...according to the Disney Wine and Dine Half Marathon official clock...there are exactly 4 days , 9 hours, and 22 minutes until our adventure begins!!


1 comment:

  1. This alone makes it all worth while (she says with sarcasm)... hahahahaha!

    Let me tell you something, after my half marathon last year I have no idea why anyone does this willingly! As I stood in the freezing cold, drizzling rain at 6:30am I turned to my father and said "Oh yeah, you runners have it all figured out, this is some kind of wonderful!"

    Did I feel a wee bit guilty about the fact that my 73 year old father could run 13.1 without even getting winded and I could barely manage a 10k? NO! I will just quote the Korean lady who has cut our familys hair forever...

    when I told Choi my father was running a marathon and that it was 26.2 miles she said:

    "Why he do dat?! He have no cahhr?!"

    *ahem* truer words my friend.

    Good luck on your lengthy and rapid walk, at least there is wine at the finish line! That alone would make it more worth while than any race I've ever run. Also, I love to have a little Paul Simon on my iPod, Love Songs and Negotiations is one of my favorite albums of all time. Have fun! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete