Thursday, March 8, 2012

Squirrels...Not Man's Best Friend


The squirrels that live at my house and come in and out of my attic are very upset...they scurry across my roof from one place to another and screech and chirp about the injustice of it all.  They have become accustomed to a certain lifestyle and little by little it is being taken away.  It's not their fault that I hadn't secured the "borders" to my home which enabled them to gain access to fun, food, and shelter!!  "How dare you take this from us now that we are used to it...what will we do...where will we go?..."  They screech and screech...it's all too political for me!  I just want them to go back to playing chase in the oak trees and eating the millions of acorns that fall to the ground.  But here we are...one way doors and all...




Look closely inside the little cage next to the chewed exterior of the house...
that is a squirrel trying to get out...I am a little concerned that his buddy on the outside is studying the trap and between the two they will figure out how to open and let themselves out and BACK IN...and so it goes!  We wait for at least 10 days of trying to get whoever is still in out of this soffit and the two attics that are now empty of everything including insulation.  I have to admit that I haven't heard the scurrying around above the laundry room since day before yesterday when the critter guy brought one down out of the attic (in his gloved hand) and said in a matter of fact way "I don't see anymore in this part...but lets give it a week now that I have closed all entries. There's still the one in the soffit  that needs to get out.  Then I will remove the trap door, disinfect, and put in the new insulation."  We had a 5 minute conversation with the squirrel in his hand (I should say clutch) and it's mama on the edge of the roof 15 feet away screaming at us! In a week they could mount a sizable force against us I think as I watch them chatter at one another with twitching tails and darting eyes...this seems like a Disney movie gone bad!!