Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Books, Books, and Yes, More Books

It's been a busy "book" week...

I have joined an online classical book club hosted by Edie from http://www.lifeingraceblog.com/ (if you have never read Edie's blog, grab a cup of coffee, pull up a chair, and prepare for an inspiring read)!

This is our book for the month of September...

 
...I am admittedly a bit intimidated even though I taught
The Iliad to eighth graders back in the day.
 
To get my mind geared up for serious reading I have been working through
The Well-Educated Mind by Susan Wise Bauer. I highly recommend this book if you want to take yourself back to those days in college when you read this stuff with one eye closed and thoughts of everything "college" was running through your mind (that's not what I meant to say and not that I did that...Chelsea and Katelyn and any other college-aged reader of this blog). 
 
Last night I started the new bible study at my friend, Bobbie's, church.
 
 
If you have never done a Priscilla Shirer study you are missing out on a beautiful and authentic voice encouraging women to move from knowing God to experiencing our living God!  Amazing stuff!!
 
It is September, and I am heading back to Girls Inc. for a school year book club that starts with the building of the in-house library!!  I am really excited to get back with the girls on Wednesday afternoons.  I love to read and value the benefits of a book-filled life.  I have been collecting books this summer and have a long list of books to be ordered...and my mind is whirling with ideas...and more ideas (I have a notion Chelsea is a bit relieved to be off at pharmacy school and not trying to keep up with me...as if ;)
 
While looking through books here at the house I came across this little gem by Eric Carle. 
 
 
I opened the book to find my grandmother's beautiful handwriting... sending Chelsea a birthday message.
 
 
So, my thoughts on this, give a book as a gift to someone you love and
remember to open the cover of the book and write a personal message.  Sixteen years later it will still bring a smile to the heart :)