Thursday, September 30, 2010

Once A Year I Clean My Pantry....Whether It Needs It Or Not!

I have taken the plunge and cleaned out my pantry. This is an annual event...but usually doesn't take place until Nicole is in town and trying to bake and is pulling out expired things from my pantry.  I am somewhat embarrassed to reveal my pantry to you but I am thinking that maybe it will make me more accountable in the future and let's face it...Nicole has her own life and rarely comes to town to use "mom's" kitchen anymore!

So let the humiliation begin : )

This pantry looks like a page from an I Spy book!  And yes, I spy many things that need to go such as the canned pumpkin and marshmallow creme from LAST fall's bake-fest, the three extra bottles of vegetable oil that have two inches left, enough powdered sugar to make icing and decorate the roof of my house, and the lemon curd from I don't know when...you get the idea!

...And the coconut and slivered almonds, old stale croutons, and who knew that tomato paste and stewed tomatoes expire?????

Looking at this you might get the idea that I love sauces from Williams and Sonoma...and you'd be right!!  You see once upon a time I worked and didn't have time to come home and pull out the Joy of Cooking and whip up from scratch anything...These are the best on the market...I like them, my family likes them and what can I say, old habits die hard!! Another plug for Williams and Sonoma...the Artichoke and Lemon Pasta Sauce is too good for words!!!

Multiple interruptions later...it is finished and bare!  I like it so much I open the doors just to look.  I had a trip to the grocery store scheduled for today but I really hate to clutter up the pantry!!! Food is overrated...there is a restaurant around the corner ; )
I'm feeling so accomplished I might just tackle the spice drawers tomorrow...next week...refrigerator...eventually...I WILL clean out the cabinet full of plastic storage containers!

6 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you, Mom! Great looking pantry! Want to do mine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you think that was messy, you never need to see my pantry!! I'm going to Williams Sonoma tomorrow to get some of that Lemon & Artichoke sauce it sounds delish! What did you serve it with?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicole...I will come up anytime you say and do your pantry...I have seen it, it will be a piece of cake : )

    Kathy...I use farfalle pasta (or as Kate says little bowties) cause it sticks to it. I usually put roasted chicken or grilled tenderloins in too! Add freshly grated Romano of Parmesan cheese...yummy. And actually it is good leftover eaten cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I never noticed it was a mess but now that it is clean. Who knew? Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. "The thing that goes the farthest towards making life worth while,
    That cost the least and does the most, is just a pleasant smile."
    The site we see is worth a million and did not cost a lire! That is unless you take the space, fill it up and let the costly food expire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, we had the Artichoke & Lemon pasta for dinner, it was SO GOOD!! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete