Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee...and that pocketbook!



The Queen with Prince Charles and Prince William


This morning Chelsea and I were checking out the news over our morning coffee and caught some of the Today Show at the Queen's Diamond Jubilee...
She dresses like my grandmother did back in the 50's and 60's and just like my grandmother she is described as pragmatic...which could be the reason behind the pocketbook (yes, that is the correct name for the old fashioned patent leather style she  seems to prefer).  I get taking the pocketbook to church, the theatre, parliament...I mean she might need her lipstick or monogrammed handkerchief or perhaps a Certs breath mint (those were the kind of mints my grandmother carried in her pocketbook)...but seriously...carrying it out on the balcony of her own palace???  I seem to vaguely remember in the movie The Queen, she carried her purse when taking a walk about in her garden with Prime Minister Tony Blair.  I am thinking there must be some pragmatic reason behind this...possibly, she keeps it with her in case she has to be whisked away in an instant for security reasons or maybe she's been trained to use the pocketbook as a weapon in a security situation.  She's the Queen and can do what she likes, but don't you wonder what she carries in her pocketbook...







Anyhow she looks as though she has been enjoying herself over the past several days so my hat is off to her :)


As an aside...here is a picture of my grandmother taken back in the day...she would have made a lovely queen :)