Monday, June 25, 2012

Book Club with an AWESOME group of girls!


I am back in town sooner than I planned as Tropical Storm Debby is trying hard to be a downer today! So I packed up Gabby this morning when Rich left for work and headed back across the bridge!!  I have lots to do here and the girls will be flying in this evening if the weather holds (please hold).  Now might be a good time to post before my week gets away from me!  There is so much going on around here and it's all about choices...so for today I have decided to talk about the book club at Girls Inc.

Last Wednesday was our second week of book club.  After the whirl wind day of making journals with all of the girls week one, Chelsea and I were looking forward to giving out books to the girls and getting to know them.

We started each group time with a little game I call around the world...we passed the globe around the group and the girls talked about themselves. Oh yea, the girls love Chelsea...of course and she has a little shadow in each of the younger groups :)

One group of 4th graders wanted me to read aloud with them to get them
started in Pippi Longstocking...so Chelsea manned the group that wanted to silent read



Another group is reading the book about the mysterious Thorne Rooms in the
Chicago Art Institute...notice the doll house in the background...donated last week, we are
thinking about it being a part of our summer fun!  Anyone have some interesting doll house furniture they would like to donate???

This week we will give the first, second, and third graders their books...which include picture books and Magic Tree House books!  We will also be creating Venetian masks with the middle school girls who are reading the Thief Lord and secret key necklaces with 5th graders who are reading
 The Sixty-Eight Rooms.

It is amazing to me that what started as a way for me to get directly involved with an organization I believe in and have supported over the years has quickly turned into a weekly life lesson for me and I think Chelsea too!  It is good for the heart and the soul :)  Oh, and if you are wondering what happened to Kate in all of this...she got a job at Sharky's on the beach and works all the time (except on weekends when she is traveling about with her sister :)