Friday, December 16, 2011

December Books...Picture Books and All!

December picture books always takes me down the road to days gone by in my years of teaching.  The transformation of the classroom from Fall Fun to Christmas Magic was fast and furious...depending on the day of the week that the calendar changed.  If we were really lucky we would have a weekend to change our classrooms...but honestly some of my best memories are of Tuesday afternoon transformations. No matter the challenges of that day, the afternoon came alive... fueled by a giant Starbucks Peppermint Mocha (or 2) and lots of support from fellow teachers who were knee high in red and green bulletin board paper.  We were like a bunch of elves with only 5 hours "to get it done!"  The trees would go up...the paper chains would be hung...the Nativity sets for daily devotions placed...and then the picture books would come out.

I loved Christmas picture books...I mean...LOVED them.  The simple joy of getting them out and displaying them around the room and reading them aloud to the kids...indescribable!!!  As I moved through the grades teaching...I would leave behind books and probably a few of those were Christmas books...but I kept my fairly extensive personal Christmas library and no matter the grade I would put them out each year and yes, read them aloud...even to Eighth Graders (I had to do something to keep my sanity sometimes ;)!! 

Here are a few of the Christmas books that I have displayed around the house this year...



 This advent calendar has traveled all the way through my years at Holy Nativity! Each numbered book tells a little of the story of the birth of Christ.  I know that it will be a favorite with Claire (and all those other grand babies that will come along through the years)!



I have a well-used and much-loved collection of Christmas home decorating and cookbooks.  This one by Susan Branch was my grandmother's and so it has a special place in my heart and somewhere in the house every year!




Pop-up books...I love them!
One of our favorite family vacations was our trip to NYC and Vermont during Christmas break 2009.  We bought this pop-up book to commemorate our trip!



Mrs. Legg...she was my teaching mentor...a master with a pair of scissors...and a prayer warrior!  She gave me this copy of the classic Frosty the Snow Man...all of my HNES friends immediately recognize Leslie's handwriting, second only to her very unique midwestern voice!!

This book comes with high recommendations from Rich!



      This is one of my favorites...and I am rereading it this Christmas!

I am always on the lookout for beautiful and fun Christmas books to add to
                                                my collection...
You gotta love Olivia...can't wait to share these with Claire!


And this beautiful version of The Twelve Days of Christmas is this year's find




Whatever your Christmas season brings this year I hope you find time to enjoy reading...There are lots of choices...but I would start with this one...it is sure to bring joy into your day and peace into your heart!





1 comment:

  1. First of all, I love Santa and the reindeer flying across your blog and the Christmas tree through the window! I also was ready to comment even before you posted about Leslie's handwriting. Oh how I miss her! I have written down Rich's suggestion and hope to find it!

    ReplyDelete