Monday, October 17, 2011

Scripture Memory Rings...My Idea of " A Good Thing"

I have been neglecting my blog lately...I've been to Auburn and Birmingham and even fit in a trip to the beach for some "summer" weather this past weekend.  Lots has been happening, but for today I want to share a little project I have been working on for a BIG project that Nicole is involved in. 


I call these Scripture Rings...they are simply 75 index cards on rings. I started my first one about 6 six years ago when I did the "Believing God" bible study.
I record scripture that I want to 1)commit to memory and 2)provide an instant reminder of God's sovereignty.  I admit that I am terrible at memorizing...I need every trick...but I love my Scripture Ring...the red cord tied to it is the bracelet I got last summer from Katelyn's Israel Study Group before they left on their two week trip. I wore the bracelet around the clock for a month until it finally stretched out and slipped off easily.  




I love my Scripture Ring...but I have no delusions about its aesthetic appeal :)
So I came up with an idea for some fun and hopefully motivating Scripture Rings...



To make these I purchased note card organizers at Office Depot. I bought fabric rolls at Hobby Lobby...I like them because they are color-coordinating 44" long strips of fabric about 3" wide.  I cut each strip into two long strips and then cut them into four 11" length strips. Next I tied four fabric strips to each ring and then trimmed the ends.


For the front cover I used Psalm 119:105...Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.  There are two dividers and a back cover in the stack and I chose other verses for those pages.  I printed the verses on  3M  2" x 4" labels and after placing the labels on all of the plastic inserts, I decorated the front covers with various embellishments.  The inside blank lined cards are for you to fill with scripture that is meaningful to you and that you want to memorize.






The back of each Scripture Ring is adorned with a Cross.

So...What does all of this craftiness have to do with Nicole? ...

Nicole and her friend Meredith have signed up for a booth.  They have been juggling families, jobs, and sewing machines for the last month and will have some wonderful things for sale including...aprons, gameday onesies and girls' reversible gameday tops, Christmas dresses, Knot Dresses, skirts....and more!  I wanted to do something...and Scripture Rings came to mind (alas, the sewing gene skipped me).
If you live in the Birmingham area...go to the Market this coming Saturday and support a wonderful work for God while finding some awesome one of a kind shopping.  But at the very least I encourage you to start a Scripture Ring of your own. 

2 comments:

  1. Kim, these are too cute!! And a great way to help memorize scripture! I wish I were going to be in Birmingham this weekend so I could go! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kim...really like this scripture memory ring. Reminds me of Ben's mother, Glenna, who made recipe ring booklets that are similar in style back in the 80's of Thomas family recipes. She typed each recipe on an index card, added stickers and laminated each page in the booklets. She was very creative and would have loved all your ideas.

    ReplyDelete