Sunday, July 10, 2011

Packing, Packing, and More Packing...All in Alphabetical Order!

After a year of planning we are finally packing to go to London and Paris on Katelyn's graduation girls' trip (the girls being Katelyn, Nicole, Chelsea, and myself...sorry Pam). I am so excited about this trip because who knows if the four of us will ever find this kind of time in the future to go and explore and make memories together!

As much as I love to travel...I hate to pack!  It used to be easier when there were no limitations on the number of suitcases that could be checked and this 50 pound weight limitation thing....argh...My suitcase starts out weighing at least 6 pounds empty!!  So after much debate and some last minute changes I've got my suitcase packed and weighing in at 46 pounds and I consider that a victory!! This means I will have to be very careful about souvenirs...but I can apparently put them in Kate's suitcase because hers weighs only 34 pounds (how can that be...I wonder if she remembered shoes????).

So, I have put together an alphabetized list of some packing essentials that  I can't seem to live without. Hope you enjoy my list...will have lots to talk about when I return.  Please pray for us!


A ~ Altoids...my faves are the dark chocolate covered peppermint ones, but I will settle for just plain peppermint any day

B ~ Boarding Passes...I love that I can check us in and print them off at home 24 hours ahead of time
C ~ Cell phone...not ours, but this one from Travel Cell...a necessity for Nicole to keep up with David and Claire...and the rest of us to keep up too...


D ~ Digital Rebel XT by Canon and Digital G11 by Canon...a girl needs options...Oh and  Katelyn isn't really in love with cameras and keeping up with them but has decided to use one of mine on this trip...also a new mini tri-pod that fits all of the cameras going (it's about 8 inches long and weighs nothing). 


E ~ Euros...for France...the first 50 given to us by Grandpa Dodd :)

F ~A friend's recommendations...Thanks to Kaitlynn Moody (she just spent a semester in Paris) we have added several "must dos" to our schedule :)

G~ God...where would we be without Him...

H ~ Humor...a necessity, especially in France where the Parisians have never been impressed with my love of their city (or maybe my butchering of their beloved language) (How much can that possibly weigh???)

I  ~  Itineraries...courtesy of my travel agent I have quite the document packet with all of my tour vouchers, Eurostar tickets, hotel accomodations and airline schedules. 
Thank you Cathy Belcher at Travel Ventures!                         

J ~ This super cute pink polka dot jacket from Garnet Hill because low 70's during the day is excellent...but high 50's at night is a little cool! 

K ~ freshly loaded Kindle...for this trip I recently loaded...
                    

L ~ Lip balm...I like Burt's Bees...the girls like Carmex and Nivea

M ~ Meds...Claritin Redi Tabs, Tylenol Complete Cold, Immodium, Advil and Advil PM, Pepto Bismo Tablets, and Maxalt (just in case a migraine decides to come with us uninvited)

N ~ Notebook (this time a vera bradley one) for journaling

O ~ Orbit Gum...wintermint and spearmint

P ~ Patience...at the airport during security checks..with the cabdrivers in France who, for some reason, have decided we Americans live a dull life and so try to scare us to death with their wild, maniacal driving...with the girls who don't typically think that "just one more painting, church, or picture"  is necessary in order for us to have a fulfilling experience....with myself...because I want to do everything and see everything and really have to force myself to slow down!


Q ~ Queen of hearts, spades, clubs, and diamonds...yep, a deck of cards

R ~ Reading glasses...alas it is true...I need them

S ~ Sour Patch Kids...all three girls love them

T ~ Travel overseas absolute have to have...passport (complete with horrible what-was-going-on-with-my-hair picture) and guidebooks (one for London, one for Paris).  The Eyewitness Series are my favorites!! 

U ~ a mini Totes umbrella...I refuse to spend money on any more umbrellas overseas...they are cheaply made but very expensive to buy

V ~ Vacation Attitude... what is that you ask?...It's all good and if we forgot it we don't really need it

W ~ Walking shoes...cause we will do some miles...I recently got these in black... check them out on bensimon.usa.com

X ~ Xtras (I am stretching here I know) like safety pins, socks for the airplane, bandaids (with all of the walking someone will always have a blister), hand sanitizers, little cardigans for layering (it's supposed to be 65 degrees the day we arrive)

Y ~ York Peppermint Patty Pieces (dark chocolate)...do you see a trend here?


Z ~ ziplock baggies (quart size)...are great for keeping stuff together...postcards, entry tickets, small souvenirs, chargers, etc, etc.





2 comments:

  1. Great list! I never knew york came in little pieces....I might have to go find some, as I am almost out of my bag of normal size! Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the four of you are going to make precious memories together. I always hold my breath when my suitcase gets on the scale. There's usually some reshuffling of goods before it's all said and done! Can't wait to read about and see the pictures from your trip!

    ReplyDelete