Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Les Miserables





We went to see the beautiful Les Miserables at the Queen's Theatre while in London.  In a nutshell this play takes place in France in the turbulent years between 1815 and the mid 1830's. It is a story of a country's growing pains and one man's redemption.  Victor Hugo finished the novel Les Miserables in 1861.  It is said (by the tour guide at the Louvre...so...maybe don't quote me) that his inspiration for the young boy in the story (Gavroche) came from this painting by Delacroix...



Little did we know that we would be seeing the legendary Alfie Boe in the
role of Jean Valjean...

  
 Check out this video from YouTube of his showstopping  Bring Him Home 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKIRY6caqgY

And while I was looking about YouTube I found this beautiful rendition of I Dream a Dream done by another of my favorites..Idina Menzel from Wicked (along with Lea Michele from Glee).
http://youtu.be/Xp7ARm2Lwdo

Enough of the videos...this evening was so surprisingly wonderful in so many ways.  The girls loved the show, I now have a new favorite (Phantom of the Opera and Wicked being 2nd and 3rd). AND...a very unexpected aspect to our evening at the theatre has given me the inspiration for a children's book (or maybe two)!  Nicole has sworn me to secrecy at this point...so no more information than that ;)

I think that this was my favorite from our trip...although I might change my mind in a later post! 

I am now thinking that I should read this novel...




3 comments:

  1. Les Mis is definately one of my top three favorites also along with Wicked and Fiddler on the Roof...Oh and I almost forgot Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar....oh and Sound of Music and Man of LaMancha and Hairspray. Oh and especially Spamalot. You get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Les Mis, I saw it in Denver when Jordan was a baby. Did you ever see Mama Mia? SO MUCH FUN! We saw that at the Kennedy Center and I could easily sit through it again and again. The pics from the trip are amazing, looks like it was a trip to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. FYI... I (Kathy) wrote the above comment. Too lazy to log in to my gmail account!

    ReplyDelete