Sunday, April 11, 2010

And The Winner Is...

Okay, so I am back from the Easter/ Spring Break college tour trip and have both so much to do around the house...and so much to say about everything we did and saw...I am not sure where to begin! Today's blog will be short and sweet and will announce the winner of the food disaster contest and Bobbin Bug's cute apron!  I enjoyed the stories I received (both public on the blog and private to my email) and thank you all for sharing! I chose Meredith as the winner (and I happen to know personally that Meredith is an accomplished cook...so things happen).  I totally have misread a recipe before and yes, with company right there to live through the experience with me!!  My grandmother was a great cook and use to say "anyone can cook if they can read a recipe..."   Hmmm food for thought.
You remember that I threw down the "cutlet" and took up a personal challenge to make a rack of lamb for our Saturday evening dinner on Easter weekend.  Well, all the credit goes to Nicole...who actually did the 20 minutes of prep work (she insisted I be in the picture) as I was trying at the time to teach Chelsea to use a veggie peeler to peel potatoes!  We chose a simple recipe from Ina Garten (the one from the Today Show).
5*****  for the simplicity of the recipe.  5 ***** also for the presentation (check out the pictures).   For the taste....we gave it 3 ***...the meat was done to perfection...just a little too salty for our liking.  In the future we will cut down on the amount of salt (and we used this marinade for three racks of lamb, not two as the recipe calls for).  We also tried Paula Deen's southern style deviled eggs which of course get 5*****...that woman knows how to use mayonnaise!!!  We rounded out our dinner with steamed green beans and scalloped potatoes (yes, Chelsea finally got those potatoes peeled), and fruit salad.  Nicole and Katelyn also made coconut cupcakes for our dessert and they were fabulous!! 
I hope that you had a great Easter celebration with your family.  We loved being with Claire for her first Easter. The girls had fun deciding which dress she would wear to church Sunday morning!!  Nicole and David attend a big Presbyterian church with loads of young families and it was heartwarming seeing all the young families all decked out in their Easter best... call me old fashioned but I think it is fitting that no matter how casual the church service might be on a regular Sunday, Easter Sunday is still a day of new shoes and taffeta dresses and seersucker jackets (I will not go into the lecture of  if only our inner spirit matched our outward appearance...but I do get it)!  And maybe...just maybe the sight of all of us dressed in our pastels and patent leather puts a smile on our dear Lord's face!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment